Tuesday 25 November 2008

Facebook lost my Email Notification settings

I got an email this morning from Facebook that they have lost my email notification settings. I did not believe that email, I thought it was a phishing email. I checked the url in the email and it seemed valid but for some reason I still could not believe it. “How can Facebook lose my email notifications? Not possible” I thought.




I logged into Facebook and found the same message on the home page. So, the email was legit and Facebook had indeed lost my email preferences.



It is very concerning to me. How can a company like Facebook lose data? Millions of people put a lot of data on Facebook and how can Facebook not keep proper safeguard to make sure data does not get lost and proper backups to restore the data. It is not clear if a programming error or human error cleared all the data or did somebody break into the database/file system and cleared it out. I am not sure if it was just me or others got affected as well?

Did you receive similar message from Facebook?

Site: AnilBatra.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/anilbatra
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking to fill your Web Analytics or Online Marketing position? Post your open jobs on http://www.web-analytics-jobs.com/

Latest Postion
Technical Consultant for Internet Marketing and Web Analytics at Unica (Waltham, MA)

No comments:

Post a Comment